PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 17th Jul 2014, 23:04
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hatchet,

There must be some pictures to post somewhere. Meanwhile, anyone remember the Deci Sched ? It has some serious memories for me. Having been accepted for the GEs course in 1988, I then surprisingly got promoted to Chf Tech, and became surplus to requirements for ALSS. So, they put me in charge of ALSS GEs section for a few months. During that time, I managed to convince ATFOC that we were short of GEs and volunteered for various trips, despite not having done the course. Unfortunately, my attempt at a Carribean trainer was repulsed, but they allowed me to do lots of Deci Scheds, and once a Tanker Rotation to MPA. Now, perhaps I'm just sad but the Deci Sched was a great trip for me. Out on Friday morning, through Wildenrath and down to Deci, a steady flight back to Wildenrath for a nightstop and back home on Saturday morning. For someone who was not a GE I enjoyed the chance to have a go, and I'm sure it helped my progress through the course, when I did it. I'm equally sure that I could recite the VOR beacons that were used for the whole trip at one time, but age and dementia take their toll and I struggle these days. I know that the crews who put up with the "pseudo GE" were a good bunch.

Smudge