PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Waddington show - what happens now?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2014, 20:09
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Having picked up loaded nappies and 'checked' suspect parcels in the toilets I am with Burns and Tyke.

My day job was suspended at both Waddo and Coningsby for the duration. I know we did and do a far better job than the professionals (remember Abingdon and East Fortune) but PR and recruiting is not the role of a front line unit.

The Army doesn't mount all-arms international open days. The Navy contents itself with ship open days. I was 'recruited' at the age of 10 simply by going to our local Aux AF, Hooton Park, on BofB day. They were not open to the public yet they let us in and got passing BofB aircraft to fly through.

Does Joe Public want and all singing fun fair with aircraft or to see the RAF?

A local open day, chatting to a few thousand will do more for local good will. We still have a lot of unit and they can attract visitors without a fun fare or circus.

On my last unit we opened for 4 hrs or so and got 20 times the number of visitors to unit strength - and that in the working week.