PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2014, 12:56
TheChitterneFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be the first to agree that grounding an aircraft that has not been properly maintained is sensible. Grounding the whole fleet because a new organisation does not like the way the paperwork has been done is complete nonsense. How long would it take to visit each squadron, check each glider for serviceability and sign it up take? Days probably not, weeks certainly but months, I don't think so.
Paperwork isn't the specific issue! When repairs have been made that don't have a recognised work package to deal with that repair i.e. the maintenance manual, then one has to ask the question of what other work packages have been completed that have largely gone unrecorded? The on-going process of checking a sample of aircraft maintenance records is is a huge and onerous task. When those unauthorised work packages have been scrutinised and then deemed to be (hopefully) acceptable, the aircraft maintenance manuals will be updated to include an authorised work package. Should there be other aircraft where similar/identical unauthorised repairs have been carried out, there will then be a suitable audit trail to enable the sign-off of those previous repairs.

Believe me, everyone is working flat out to try and resolve the return to flight programme within the all encompassing Safety Regulation framework.

And finally, the grounding of all of the fleet aircraft has had nothing to do with how badges have been sewn onto flying kit or the discovery of fire extinguishers being out of date. As a point of order, that 'new organisation' (the MAA and 2FTS) has proven to be precisely what the VGS needed. Rerun to flight WILL happen and you'll all come out of this 'pause in flying' in much better shape than previous.

Last edited by TheChitterneFlyer; 18th Jul 2014 at 09:06. Reason: Addition of 'hopefully'