PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality of newbies
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2014, 12:43
Mick Stuped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lee_apromise, Luke SkyToddler, I will bite if that's what you want. As I don't put every new pilot or training org in a box, please don't put all employers in a box. As in every industry there is the good and the bad. I am very sorry you encountered the bad. These are the same ba...tads that undercut us, lie to get contracts and leave the industry owing money to all and an industry with a bad image.
There are a lot of us plodders out there that don't deserve this sort of abuse.

The reason I started this post was, because I, like a lot of others that get see a lot of newbies a year, are concerned at the general decay of standards that could lead to a serious decline in safety in the future. It is caused by a percentage of the training industry but not all. Good well trained pilots do still show up, so this proves that it is a decline in pride in turning out a good product. Something needs to be done to arrest this decline and kick it in the pants before we start to see a rise in the GA accident rate.

I love this industry and the work we do. Pilots are at the face of our industry and as such, their skills are what keeps GA operators profitable.

As an owner, it is in our interest to keep our employees, so why wouldn't I pay the award or better. That's what the award is for to make sure no one gets ripped off. If you do, don't bitch here take it to fair work.

We spend a lot of time and frustration getting newbies to a commercial standard. It's a great feeling to see a pilot outgrow us and walk into a new job ahead of a lot of others.

We employ newbies because of seasonal work and yes it is rewarding watching a new pilot grow in confidence and skills and become part of team. I won't lie we want the best, that is due to the fact that it takes a while to get a second rate pilot to a place that their skills are cost effective. It also hurts to have to let them go at the end of the season due to lack of work, but good to see most want to come back the next year.

Sad part of life, that in any industry you have to have bean counters to stay in business. As a manager you have to look at things like gross margins, profit margins, efficiency, etc. Two things that I don't like to skimp on is wages and maintiance, so that means operations have to be very efficient, you count every minute in the air. And are those minutes starting to get expensive. Good pilots understand this fact. That's what keeps a pilot or any other employee in work in any other industry. Business means, planes to pay for, money needs to set aside for engine and prop replacement. We need money for a refurb in three years for this or that aircraft. We have to worry will john down the road undercut us for the next contract. How will CASA's latest changes effect our operations. Etc etc.

At the end of the day we pay a pilot a good wage in return we are getting second rate pilots that through no fault of there own have been sold a lemon. Don't we have aright to expect a certain standard of training as the norm not the exception.

I think you forget like you we still have a family to feed and kids to educate. Not many of us long term plodders drive Mercedes or have an apartment on the Gold Coast. We live in the back of beyond because we like it. So before you raise the red flag and call all employers as****les spare a thought for all those mum and dad out fits just trying to provide a service and survive. I think from CASA latest statistics that there is something like over 700 operators out there with 5 or less aircraft that would also have been offended by your views.

MS