PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merimbula to Canberra
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2014, 08:33
Stikybeke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day there...

I've flown the Merimbula / Canberra route (VFR) quite a bit over the years. If I could perhaps suggest that at this time of year to consider to track coastal to Moruya then to Canberra. Few reasons for this.

If you track VFR from Merimbula (elevation 7ft) to Cooma (elevation snowing) then to Canberra (elevation not much better) you can easily fall into the trap of wx coming in behind you once you get up over the range towards Nimmitabel (on the way to Cooma) which blocks off your return options if you get into strife. This happened to me once as a young UPPL and I was lucky (and shaking) to make it to Polo Flat where I had to land on the dirt x strip. A lesson I've never forgotten.

Additionally once past Cooma and heading towards Canberra (VFR) you're going up the Monaro Valley which is well known for it's unpleasant turbulance when a bit windy and cold. Also on the VFR inbound for Canberra from the south expect holding (depending on traffic) although ATC are great and are usually sympathetic to VFR traffic from the south....

If you come from Merimbula to Moruya just follow the coast for some terrific flying and views!!! There are a number of options on the way if the rubber band breaks and if the wx turns bad near Moruya just land there and enjoy! From Moruya to Canberrathe elevation rise is still much the same but alot later in the flight and not with snow most of the time. Also, aside from the additional availability of the YSCB navaids at a more realistic phase of your flight after that climb, you have alot more options up your sleeve if you don't like what you see in front of you....pack a sandwich and some water to have in the aircraft. If you need a cafe take advantage of the ones at Canberra airport, after all, you've paid to use the airport, might as well use what it has to offer....

As for Canberra to Melbourne good luck.....

If you're still a bit unsure why not ring someone in some of the towns (like the local airport or police for example) that you'll be flying over on the way. tell them where you're headed from and to and ask them what the weather is like there before you leave...

Enjoy and have a safe flight.....

Stiky

Last edited by Stikybeke; 17th Jul 2014 at 08:59.