PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G1000 torque gauge question.
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2014, 06:35
lilflyboy262...2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this another one of those lawyer written PoH things where someone in the States cooked an engine by staying at max continuous tq but ignored the ITT or Ng limits?

I wish I had taken a pic of the engine parameters and not just the altitude I was at! The tq limit had moved down to the book value of just a shade over 1400. Yet the Ng and ITT were at 98% and roughly 780*C. Well below either of those limits.
It seems extremely an conservative number if its just a figure there for dummies. What is so hard about setting the engine power to remain under whichever of the three needles hits its limit first?
The problem with this dynamic line is that if it is just a precautionary line, that you then have to ignore it, get a flashing red tq warning, and use the standby tq meter if you needed the power to continue to climb.

It really is baffling me that an engine at 8,000ft in the cruise can happily make 1800ft/lbs until it runs out of fuel but is only allowed to produce 1400ft/lbs at 18,000ft (ITT and Ng considered).