PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737NG-Engine Failure during a Double Derate take off
Old 16th Jul 2014, 22:40
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Let's do not forget that the Power output at low speeds, is normally proportionally higher on turboprops compared to Jets.

Bit of a red herring, I suggest. The message we should be getting across to the newchums, in particular, is that thrust increases during the OEI exercise and especially at low weight and speed schedules ... are fraught with potential hazard. For the very great majority of OEI situations, there is no need to resort to increasing thrust ..

the answer would be the product of a risk assessment on what is more dangerous: Terrain closure Vs Yaw/Roll de-stabilizing moment....

Absolutely ! However, perhaps it is better to crash right way up with the aircraft under reasonable control .. rather than upside down and out of control ?

Must say I do not like Your tone on this one, considering You do not know what You are talking about.

My apologies .. not trying to be confrontational. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion.

Turboprops and B737-800,,, please?

While the details differ, the overall resulting effect is similar.

bump, may be needed when heawy ,,,not light

Agreed. However, the thrust of the discussion is to get the message across that there be dragons potentially lurking at very low weights and speed schedules.

We might just have to disagree on philosophy, perhaps ?

To inject an element of practicality into this..

Absolutely the case in practice.

For those who prefer to dismiss the concern out of hand .. I should relate that, with sim exercises intended to highlight the problem, even very experienced pilots (who had not seen the low weight/speed handling problems previously) found themselves caught out until they had the opportunity to play with the dragon.