PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2014, 17:20
Danny42C

Is there a Snake in the House ?

harrym, (not Chugalug)

I must say that the picture of the "dickey" laying about him with his kukri is an entertaining one ! This interests me personally, recalling (as you may) that I, too, carried a kukri when in full battle array in Burma. And when you come face to face with a krait in the narrow confines of a cockpit, you must do something quick with whatever comes to hand !

And you must score a "confirmed" first time - for there'll never be a second. Another option would be your Smith & Wesson, but you'd better be a very good shot (and in any case there'd be a hole in your aircraft).

After giving this some thought, best idea of all would be to take a pet mongoose with you on every sortie. Rikki-tikki-tavi (being the only animal that can beat a King Cobra to the draw :"Ha, the hooded Death has missed ! Woe to thee, Nag"), would do the business and would snuggle down quite happily, I should think, in your haversack when not on snake duty.

What I really cherish is the thought of the imperturbable Captain maintaining normal navigation while cold steel and bits of snake were flying about next door.

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 16th Jul 2014 at 20:57. Reason: Wrong addressee ! (due to Senior Moment)