PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality of newbies
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2014, 11:09
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts
Luke Sky Toddler; Whilst I concede that you've been around for long enough to know that of which you speak, and indeed I agree with your comment that Employers should pay their Pilots properly, I really think that you should stop and ponder that in some regards perhaps the OP has a valid point!

ie; That possibly; Note, Possibly, some of the fresh CPL holders are entering or attempting to enter the Industry with a somewhat unrealistic opinion of what to expect for their first few years.

For instance; You are rostered to fly at, say 'O dark hundred' ie be taxiing out at first light. When would you recommend they turn up at the Flight office? (I'll give you a hint; At DZ or Simbu in Port Morbid it was two hours before first light!)
Oh, and you had already been to the briefing/met office and lodged your plans for the morning!

And your shirt always appeared to be freshly ironed (it was) even though the Haus Boi (or Meri) had done it the previous day.

We were still expected to leave the Pilots room clean. ie We emptied the cigarette ash tray and washed our own coffee mugs!
Stacked neatly any empty coca cola bottles in a crate etc. Not left them laying about anywhere.

If we were ever rude or abrupt to any of the clients, villagers etc, we soon found out that such behaviour was not acceptable! (Hell, I was always on my best behaviour or so I thought, until the Boss once let it drop that we all recieved at least three death threats per week!)

And the 'Ginger Beer' was your Saviour, Fairy Godmother, Friend and Protector all rolled into one!! Piss him off at your peril!

And finally; The Chief Pilot was Der Fuhrer! He and he alone decided when you got the promotion to the higher class of Aircraft. And you never asked about it! (In Simbu's case it was a well used but reliable 'A' mod 402. And I loved flying it!!)

End of (Red fuelled) rant

The days of students being subservient to arrogant egocentric old men that just want to be fawned over are long gone. If you do a crap job training people you will end up with crap pilots. Simple. Don't count the money and then complain about it.
Sorry 50 50, Whilst I would agree with your first and second sentence, and obviously the summary of the third, I honestly doubt that such a scenario could be found in any successful flying schools today. If I am wrong please enlighten me.

Last edited by Pinky the pilot; 16th Jul 2014 at 13:34. Reason: addition/clarification