PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH to take over or merge with SR?????
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2003, 06:46
Stumpie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoopy is right. You ex-Crossair pilots can stop waiting for a White Knight. He is not going to come!

Yes Swissair is no more, BUT, you cannot possibly believe that all that money was put up by the good tax paying people of Switzerland so that you could reign supreme (ie have seniority) over the ex pilots of Swissair do you? Swissair was a recognized brand - worldwide. The politicians of Switzerland decided that this was not worth losing. Hence, the fiasco existing today called Swiss. But lets get one thing straight. It was NOT the pilots of Swissair, nor their salaries that put Swissair out of business, but incompetent management. In fact their Union, Aeropers, were known as a "company friendly" partner who were not adverse to making compromises in order to help out the company in times of trouble. Because of the huge debt and default thereof to other companies, a new company had to be created. Why they decided to use Crossair as a vehicle is open to discussion, but I am sure they were not thinking that the Crossair pilots were somehow going to become the senior partner in all this and be re-trained onto MD11 and Airbus to boot. Suter was kicked out of his own company and Swiss operates under another name than Crossair today. If it was still Crossair, why is that? Worst of all for you, even Andre Dose has abandoned you. Market forces are at work here and no matter what you do or say are going to prevail!

Will this new division of Swiss work? Time will tell, but I am not overly optimistic. Who is to blame? Everyone will have his own culprit, but it is a waste of time to rail against the Swissair part of the pilot corps. What their Union has achieved for them is merely what any union should achieve for its membership - the best deal available. Can you say the same of your own union, who decided to fight not only Aeropers but management too? Once again time will tell, but I would not hold my breath waiting if I was you!