PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hot weather/crap performance
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2014, 16:53
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back on track, I come from the same neck of the woods as Piperboy. A few years ago I took my old Beagle Terrier to France. It drank petrol and oil but a nice way to watch the scenery go by.

Part of the holiday included a visit to Disney and the easiest airfield is Lognes. We were parked on the grass beneath the tower. After dropping off the hire car we sat under the wing drawing lines and things. I tried to get them to take a landing/parking fee but they refused. So all the stuff back in the plane and off we went...

The hard runway is 700m and I usually operated out of a 450m grass strip. We used 500m plus of the runway and almost relied upon the curvature of the earth to climb. The Terrier had a much stamped up handbook with charts for everything, including density altitude corrections for the distance to clear 50ft.

The book said it would be easy - circa 300 - 350 yards, the aircraft seemed to think otherwise. In subsequent visits to warmer climes we noticed what seemed to be a disproportionate drop off in performance once the temperature got over 25 deg C. But in 'normal' Scottish temperatures it met the book figures easily.

What it must have been like using them for spraying in the Sudan and similar places goodness knows but the Gypsy/Auster combination does not like heat (I've never had the opportunity to try just height!).