PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh area operators
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2014, 07:14
John R81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bravo 73 :- Rats! You sussed me out!

tu154 - Yup! Agree all of the above. My rides are day/night VFR so lots of times when I can't be sure of Wx. as I have to make the trip then car / train / commercial flights are the only option. Occasionally I am driving along under better-than-forecast skies and wishing I was "up there" but very clear in my mind its preferable to the reverse. Never regretted taking the safer option.

Also there are days when the workload means I can't be sure to have the right mind-set to pilot myself, and then I take a CPL and (sometimes) make myself useful with coms / nav / passing a bottle of water. Other times I am not useful at all and just take the time to gaze out on God's wonderful creation.

(Didn't actually mean heli-commuting in Scotland for N Sea crew as a serious proposition. But then given the weather, the roads, the winter, I would not want to live too far out of Aberdeen if I needed to be somewhere on-time and early in the day. Certainly not as far as Edinburgh. I would look for accommodation closer to work, and on a road that is ploughed / gritted in the winter; and make sure to swap to winter tyres for November through March. Last couple of winters have been mild up there, but the two before reached -18 C (min temp) and stayed below 0 C for several weeks.)