PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire Pilot needs your help to make his Dream come true
Old 14th Jul 2014, 23:52
Danny42C

Rob on behalf of John Anderson,

First welcome to you both aboard this Thread ! 93 ? - he's a year ahead of me, and he does look good ! (Hope for us all yet !) Now the only way I know is to approach the Grace Spitfire Trust <www.ml407.co.uk.> (they run a Mk.IX T two-seater).

We have several areas in common. I served in India and Burma, flying the Vultee Vengeace with 110 (Hyderabad) Sqdn. I knew that there were other "Hyderabad" Sqdns around (for the Nizam's munificence knew no bounds), but never one with his hat for a badge ! I thought all the badges were variants of the Tiger of Hyderabad's mask.

I did my OTU on Spitfires at Hawarden July-September'42, then they sent me to India - but forgot to send any Spitfires ! (they did not arrive until later in '43 - Mk.VIIIs, I think). I'd be enormously interested in any details of his time on them in Burma, for I never came into contact with them out there. And I never flew one again until'51.

In the pic, he has a Mk.IX, and by the general ambience would say was somewhere in Mediterranean lands (he would be unlikely to need a Mae West in Burma).

Now please stay with us, get as much as you can out of John, and put it down ASAP on this (the best of all) Threads. EDIT: No, not on this, I mean the "Gaining a RAF Pilots Brevet in WWII"Thread - You'd be among friends there!

Danny42C.

Last edited by Danny42C; 15th Jul 2014 at 17:05. Reason: Addn.