PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOI into the 2012 Tornado Collision over the Moray Firth
Old 14th Jul 2014, 21:35
Easy Street

Received 80 Likes on 36 Posts
DV,

I recommend study of the TCAS II specification before making posts which appear to imply that TCAS would have been of no use in the Moray accident, which is how I read your previous. TCAS gives Traffic Alerts at all heights. RAs with a descent component are suppressed below 1100ft radalt, while RAs with a climb component are suppressed above an altitude specified in type-specific software. All RAs are suppressed below 1000ft. This behaviour is all written in the TCAS standard. The Tornados would have known about each other's presence through TA had they been fitted with the equipment.

OAP,

DV is trying to show that even with TCAS on the way, the Tornado collision risk is not ALARP. Suggesting that TCAS would not have prevented the accident, either through ignorance of its function or deliberate omission of some basic facts, doesn't strike me as a particularly robust line of argument! Just as with RA 1210 a couple of pages ago, I've pointed him in the right direction for some corrective reading. Let's see where that takes us.

Last edited by Easy Street; 15th Jul 2014 at 16:49.