PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How could BA short haul improve?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2014, 20:45
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps it is worth looking back at British Railways, into the late 1950's

One could travel on the LCC 3rd class ticket......for a bit more, one could enjoy the journey in 2nd. If one was a person of substance, First class,(the Legacy standard) beckoned......NOW, they all travelled behind the same engine , on the same running gear, on the same rails, platforms and basic infrastructure.
In no way did the third class dilute the superior furnishings and service to first. Maybe BA could look at this model...Maybe, as the cattle were loaded, they should be afforded a glimpse of the fabled BA Legacy service , as advertised and promoted. But, they walk on to the cheap seats they CHOSE to buy. -Again, when you boarded the train, you had to walk enviously past the dearer offerings, if you were travelling 3 rd.

Rising affluence and , I suspect, beaurocracy finally amalgamated 3 rd into 2 nd....Who knows, perhaps the railways could reintroduce 3 rd and open up a whole new market.

ExXBsaid
If BA were smart they would give all of their connecting passengers the short-haul business class regardless if they were travelling business/first on the long-haul. So they have to move the curtain back a dozen or so rows, big deal.
But they aren't smart enough to see that! As I said, nothing wrong with offering a cheap basic no-frills service, provided the customer is made aware that better is on offer.

going back to the BMW analogy...how many base models leave the showroom? I'll vouch NONE 'cos the salesman does his job, which is to SELL - desirable but expensive high-cost extras.
I see the BA problem as being partly admin and partly sales- the smartass sales execs paint the dream, the admin are unable to furnish it.....giving a punter the runaround is a sure way to lose their business.
Re- Marks and Sparks...they used to sell only British-made, high quality clothing....unfortunately, they omitted to teach either their shop-floor staff or up-and -coming young customers just why their stuff was of superior manufacture.
Stunned a "sales assistant" who tried to sell me a "very nice " suit for a lady...showed her...skirt not lined, raw seams, neither overlocked nor Pinked.......cheap tat at an inflated price. I explained that, no, I hadn't been in the "rag trade" but my money came through hard work and I was determined to spend it wisely, therefore I researched what I intended to purchase, so I was fore armed......bit like buying a travel ticket, really!