PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian B737 Pilot selection (Updated)
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2014, 20:21
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LNIDA,

Sorry to disagree with you my friend, but that is Horlicks.

It is commercial greed, pure & simple.

Core work is being "moved" to bases such as LGW/BCN etc & you & I know it.
If it was economically viable to source this work from OSL/ARN/CPH before, why isn't it now ? don't think Mick has opened so many Scandi bases recently, nor has SAS appreciably reduced their costs.

I don't think it is in any way unreasonable, at the rate we are expanding, for a "Core" FO to expect that growth should result in him (in a reasonable timeframe) being offered a "Core" Command. I am realistic/cynical enough however, to agree with you that, unfortunately for the individuals concerned, it ain't gonna happen. (at least no time soon)

I say this, totally honestly, and mindful of the fact that my personal needs/circumstances make me part of their problem.

I am a Contract Capt who accepted a "Core FO" position in the full knowledge that I would likely be given an immediate LOA (not as stipulated by NPU after 1 year as a "Core" employee) to continue as I was. I have done this for one reason & one alone, because I foresaw the cr@p that would be offered as a "permanent contract" at my Spanish base & wanted to have another card in my deck if that was the case. The initial "offer" in HEL validated my rational.

I may be part of the problem, I am also part of the solution.
For sure (like everyone lets be honest ) I am looking out for #1, but I hope that cooperation/communication between the Unions in various countries may see us unravel this mess to everyone advantage.

In the meantime my dear LGW colleague, let us not pretend that what is being done to artificially hinder the growth of "Scandinavian Production" is either fair, nor indeed really needed. Temporary Commands in Nordic lands in Summer, 6 mth "temporary K area" contracts for new FO's (line training assuredly doesn't take that long) etc etc , everything is being done to stymy the growth of core. . . . . although, one FO I flew with the other day assured me he had it on good authority that there would be a new batch of Core FO vacancies soon. . .we will see.

Ryanair FO's who joined in the Spring (thinking particularly those of Scandi persuasion for whom it was a big draw) were told they would have "Core" positions 2 years after joining (not permanent contracts through some dodgy intermediary but "Core" contracts.)
Given the number of Core positions created this last 2 years versus the number of Contractors joining, I could only echo their current scepticism, they do, justifiably, now begin to feel a little deceived by this pre-joining promise, possibly never to be fulfilled.
I don't believe we are working for an intrinsically bad company LNIDA, but lets leave the "sugar coating" for Rednose, but please not here, where some may believe it.