PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Waddington show - what happens now?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2014, 17:55
Tiger_mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree it would be a sad move if the RAF simply threw its weight (such as it is) behind RIAT. That show is already far from popular with a lot of aviation enthusiasts, plus it's in a lousy location unless one happens to live in the region. Having said that, I would think it's the most likely outcome, sadly.
It is widely accepted by Air Show organisers that 'Aviation enthusiasts' account for between 15-18% of an air show attendance fiqure. Or in other words; far from an unfluencing factor. It is the general public enjoying a day out that are the lions share of the air day public.

For sure Fairford is not an optimal location to be the only air show supported by the RAF in a 'showcase' event to satisfy the documented aims of GAI2022 to the whole country. In fairness, no single location could be expected to do so.

RIAT also has its own brand and method of doing business, and I cannot see that changing anytime soon to provide the smoke and mirrors covering the reality of the RAF putting overt PR into file 13. The Navy must be rubbing their hands in glee over this, especially the organisers at Yeovilton who still get the discounted RAF assets that RAF events do not get! RAF air shows do not get any discount for RAF assets whereas the Navy and Army events do get 50% discount. It was not always like this; but it is this year, such is the loss of appetite to sponsor blue suit events.