PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOI into the 2012 Tornado Collision over the Moray Firth
Old 14th Jul 2014, 15:04
Lordflasheart

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Possible TCAS on Tornados of non-Brit operators ?

Grüße Herr Lederhosen, das ist sehr interessant.

Whilst in level flight in my 737 I experienced a resolution advisory with a tornado. Apart from the mandatory paperwork where I assessed the risk of collision as very low I was left with the impression that TCAS gave me better situation awareness than the tornado appeared to have as he crossed under me from left to right. We were VMC and ATC had warned me of the trafic. Nonetheless I was surprised by the event.

If I remember correctly from a long time ago, in order for a TCAS equipped aircraft to generate a Resolution Advisory (RA) the conflicting aircraft must also be TCAS equipped. If the conflicting aircraft is only transmitting IFF (squawking) the TCAS equipped aircraft will only generate a Traffic Advisory (TA.) The conflicting aircraft will know nothing except from ATC, eyeball or onboard radar.

In the case of the A319 and Tornado Airprox at Inverness Scotland, 20th April 2012 (See Distant Voice's Post 284) the A319 could only have generated a TA on the RAF Tornado – as the report confirms with the "traffic traffic" call. Even then, it requires the TCAS to detect an appropriate Squawk.

The difference roughly speaking between RA and TA – It is mandatory to follow a RA - If it says "Climb" you must climb. You would have some serious explaining to do if you did not follow an RA. It is not mandatory to take a specific action for a TA – because a TA will not include any manoeuvre instructions. If some other circumstance suggests action is required for a TA, such as turning away based on a visual, there is nothing to stop you taking it. Bear in mind that TCAS only issues height instructions – TCAS does not issue horizontal manoeuvre instructions.

For Lederhosen to experience a genuine RA on a Tornado, that suggests his particular Tornado was equipped with TCAS. Not Brit obviously, but perhaps German or Italian etc. The Tornado should therefore also have been aware of the 737 and received an RA via his own TCAS.

I am open to correction on any of the above.

Sofar I don't recollect seeing any mention of TCAS or CWS in relation to other Tornado operators. Perhaps they quietly got on with it years ago. This might spice up the current debate.

Does anyone have any info on possible TCAS or CWS equipment fitted to Tornados or other FJs of the Luftwaffe or other Air Forces ?

LFH

Last edited by Lordflasheart; 14th Jul 2014 at 15:08. Reason: clarifications