PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Training for strong crosswind landings
Old 14th Jul 2014, 14:43
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi mnttech

No sir … it is I who should apologize … I was not offended at all and, in fact, I, too, was attempting to respond in a “humorous” manner … obviously … not very successfully, it would seem (and, even if I had been “verbally poked,” I am fully aware that my reputation is very likely beyond repair anyway …… hint – that’s another attempt). However, you are correct … I was, indeed, in contact with some on the FAA’s NSP staff (although “Dr. C” is no longer there), but I’m also in contact with other colleagues in the simulation industry – and hopefully I can stir up enough interest between those sources that someone, somewhere, might be motivated sufficiently to pursue a path of determining the best way to improve the lateral handling qualities of simulators.

The problem, as I see it, is that the handling qualities of today’s simulators is pretty darn good (certainly, not perfect, but darn good) – and making it noticeably better – even in only one aspect – is likely to further exacerbate the cost-for-benefit issues that have always been present – but historically has provided significant gains in benefits for the comparatively (and that is comparatively!) nominal increase in cost.

As I understand some of the posts on this thread, the majority of the concerns voiced with respect to “lateral stability,” or “lateral cueing,” has been primarily noticed during ground operations … either during taxi, during ground acceleration prior to takeoff, or during ground deceleration after landing. I’ll certainly attempt to make those points to whomever I can get interested in these issues – and maybe, just maybe – someone might be able to initiate some kind of “re-think,” or recognize, as at least one of my contacts has indicated, that merely modifying the existing programming might result in the improvement that many believe is, or should be, required. The “nitty-gritty” of such modifications is not my area of expertise, but I certainly understand it and I’m determined to follow through to see if a logical solution – or partial solution – may be possible.