PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RIAT
Thread: RIAT
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2014, 13:50
Bob Viking

Received 565 Likes on 158 Posts
RIAT

I haven't been since 2010 (when I was participating in the display as part of the BoB 70th) due largely to geography, but I think alot of the guys on this forum are losing perspective a little.
When I was younger I would have sat and watched solo F16s and F18s all day long and gone home happy as Larry. I would also have wandered around the static park ogling at lines of aircraft dreaming about one day getting to fly one. Nowadays it doesn't hold quite the same thrill but that doesn't mean that the airfield isn't filled with the young and old alike enjoying a great day out. My kids would probably have a ball.
Just because the 'pure' spotters and military veterans haven't got the latest bit of hardware to satisfy their whims probably doesn't even register on the minds of the average punter.
You can criticise RIAT all you like (I'll admit I haven't paid for an entry since the 90s) but despite the negativity of alot of guys on here it seems to hit the spot for most of it's patrons despite the trafic jams and vagaries of the British weather.
BV