PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RIAT
Thread: RIAT
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2014, 12:24
WH904

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I've heard it doesn't sound like there was much to get excited about. Okay, gawd bless the Reds but I wouldn't queue all the way to Fairford and buy an over-priced ticket to see them - far easier ways to do that. Likewise, I see no thrill in seeing an A400 when they'll be lumbering in and out of Brize soon. I was promised one at Waddington before their show but I couldn't be bothered to wait 40 minutes to see it! From what I've seen, there was only the Su-22 that was in any way exciting at RIAT, the rest was just the same diet of aerobatics and generic modern stuff that has been seen way too many times.

All very nice of course and I'm sure everyone who went thoroughly enjoyed it and that's great. But when I remember what IAT was all about and how magnificent it once was (and yes I know why it isn't so great now), the latest show just seemed very, very dull. Joe Public doubtless loves all the aerobatic teams but when there are no "interesting" aircraft to see, it all becomes rather tame for a connoisseur such as myself (and an awful lot of my colleagues). I mean, is a Japanese tanker in a car park really that thrilling?

In my view, Waddington staged the best show of the year by far. A pale imitation of the great shows of the past I agree, but for 2014 I think it was a commendable effort. Vulcan, Canberra, three Hunters, three Gnats, Viggen and Draken... If they'd booked the Sea Vixen it would have been a perfect line-up.

In some ways I sympathise with RIAT, in that they have a difficult job getting anything of interest when there is so little left, and so little money to throw about. But I'd have more sympathy if they stopped billing the show as another IAT or RIAT, implying that it's the same show that we used to get at Greenham Common. It isn't, so why not just sell it as a family air show and stop making it into such an over-inflated and over-priced event?

If they really do want to continue being acclaimed as the true home of quality military air displays, they need to up their act. Bring back the Russians or Ukranians (and I mean in the air, not stuck on the ground). Yes it costs money but what is better? An endless line-up of familiar acts, or something really interesting? If it's all about maximising profit then fine - keep peddling the same tired old show.