PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How could BA short haul improve?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2014, 11:41
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
SLF3
BMW don't compete on price. They compete by offering a product that costs a bit more but which people are prepared to pay a premium for which more than covers the incremental cost.
Y-e-e-s-s but people plan to own their car for several years, perhaps 20. Even a long haul flight is going to top out at some 22 hours of flying time.

But I agree that there is a contrast between the BA advertising - to appeal to old customers to stay - and what happens on short haul.

I have said in the forum before that BA cannot win this 21st century problem. No more than Woolworths could, or Waterstones bookshops or HMV or the thousands of other companies that have gone for a variety of reasons.

To return to the M&S comparison. In their clothing, they have to compete with every high street shop AND the online shops. With the natural falling off as their clientele ages ...?? Whereas, in their food shops, they have but a single competitor -Waitrose. From a commercial point of view, they should be quietly selling off the old biz and concentrating on the new. But the company have repelled all buy-out options and continue to sink money into 'new' ideas for the old biz. Each new CEO says that they can being them back to mainstream. I doubt it. But human nature is to keep old things going.

By contrast, BA have done incredibly well. Although it took them a long time to find a marriage partner (Iberia) they have made a very good shot at the 21st century. I have no idea how long they will last but the longevity of companies and the trajectory of their behaviour is well known and also discussed in here before.

I repeat, I have never worked in the airline biz, nor even held shares in it. Secondly, it gives me no pleasure to predict the end of BA.