PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Critical
Thread: Qatar Critical
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2003, 02:18
Big Time Charlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to use a different log-in ID. Havent read prune for a while. However am not suprised at A300Man's comments one iota.

Most of it stems ,of course, from AAB. But of course, similar to not blaming a child for his action, it starts with the parents. In this case you can only blame the board.

Nobody in their right mind could ever convince logical thinking, experienced businessmen that a company can be run, survive & prosper in the manner in which he runs QR. However the board know this but allow this madman to carry on. QR represent their country and through this guy the reputation of Qatar the country is being or will be dragged through the dirt. Whilst he appeared to be good for the company at the beginning, he's now crossed the rubicon and theres no way back with him in charge.

In the same vein, AAB allows several people in key positions to run their areas despite the fact they are patently unqualified for their roles. You can only blame him for this. 2 people in particular GM commercial (GMC) and Manager HR (MHR) are embarrasingly incompentent.

MHR is akin to (for those who are familiar) Austin Powers Mini Me! Seems to hang on to every word of AAB, makes completely riduculous and meaningless statements and to cap it all call ABB "Your Excellency" (I'm not joking), such is the measure of the man.

MHR's favourite expression is "No" in response to most questions. Possibly the most unlikeable man within the company. Travels the world recruiting people with no set standard for recruitment (those who have been interviewed by him will know how bad he is), even going as far afield as Argentina.

This is, believe it or not, constructive. So AAB please listen. These 2 people "control"(under AAB's so caled management) the company's most important assets, its staff and its most important area for the future, commercial strategy.

With due respect to lower echelons, the company have no idea how to handle expats particularly Europeans, American, Australians etc in terms of personal requirements etc of these people. They desparately need the expertise but the package does not really equate to competitors. Maybe not too apparent at first but the little things like not having non-offloadable annual leave tickets (EK are non offloadble) are just some of the points that are not acceptable. The turnover of staff, particularly management, in last 12 months says it all. Can anybody give figures? The Qatari's themselves are not in a position to take over most key functions nor will be for a long while.

Commercial decisions that basically follow the strategy of EK are completely transparent. Buying aircraft that don't fit the "duplicated" routes don't help. I once went to a meeting where numerous route considerations were banded around the table, some possibly viable, some completely ridiculous. For example Madrid or Malaga via Casablanca. Anyone in their right mind wouldn't fly from ME to Spain via CMN. I once also saw Havana written on MF's board (a result, I believe, of some Cuban dignitories visiting Qatar).

If the company had to make a profit to survive they would have been dead a long time ago. Maybe if the board limited their funding and insisted that they will ultimately cut the umbilical, it may drive changes for the better ie. more informed commercial decisions, based on sound business ideas and proper research.
If they even had a long term strategy it may help but they havent (a fact).

The biggest worry of all is that there is not an effective safety culture, nor could there be whilst there is such a high level of fear culture within the entire company. Other carriers who operate to DOH are aware of this (fact). Even if AAB leaves this would take years to turn around. There is no real conception of the potential impact of the future credibility of QR if the worst happens instead adopting a "it won't happen to us" attitude.

So all in all its not suprising that morale is "at an all time low", in fact you could say its lower than its lowest point....to my memory its never been high. How can you possibly keep people happy and retain their respect in an environment like this?

Frankly AAB and his cronies are their own worst enemies...they can only blame themselves......but I sympathise a little......its always difficult to come face to face with the truth....isnt Mr AAB?