PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality of newbies
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2014, 07:33
Clare Prop

Received 233 Likes on 106 Posts
How about you go and start a Kingair thread??

Meanwhile this is my 2C...I came here with a UK CPL and instructor rating and a fair bit of experience flying charter and instructing in all kinds of weather and aircraft in Europe. I went to do my conversion at sausage factory "x".

First I was amazed that the ONLY barrier to entry to the CPL course was the amount of money a student had to spend. There was nil evaluation of their skills nor competition for places on the CPL or instructor courses prior to commencing, other than wanting to look cool with epaulettes on and being able to snigger behind students' backs.

As I chuckled at the old wives tales being taught as "fact", I realised that most of these people would never have got within cooee of a course in the UK let alone qualified. And yet, there they were, signing up fuglies who had just done an intro flight and wanted to look cool in epaulettes too, for a "150 hour CPL course" with no idea if this person would be suitable, living in their little incompetent arrogant bubbles, effectively cloning themselves.

What I observed was a very very thin veneer of knowledge, just enough to scrape through the absolute lowest standard that the in house examiner would accept. That was over 20 years ago and things are worse now than they were then.

The instructor rating needs to be completely overhauled and all in-house testing needs to be abolished. Then we might see some improvement in standards.