PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155 incident, SNS, 6 Nov 2013
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2014, 07:28
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Hompy yes, and this is kind of my reason for banging on about the trim release issue. Firstly because it seems to me to be an important issue that the AAIB report didn't mention, and secondly because yes, there is no clarity of operational procedures. I think most regulars here know that one of us is the manufacturer's UK person in charge of training, the other is the operator who first introduced the EC225 into oil and gas service's person in charge of that introduction and author of its operating procedures.

The question is, who should be the authority on such matters - the OEM (who builds but doesn't operate the type) or the folk with the most real-world operational experience?

We had numerous cases in the early days, of pilots (who were new to automation and thus suspicious of it) complaining that it reared up on them during a rig takeoff and in every case it was due to them giving control to the autopilot when it was not in trim. You wouldn't give control to you fellow pilot with the stick out of trim surely, so why do it to the autopilot?