PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155 incident, SNS, 6 Nov 2013
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2014, 06:46
Hompy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clarity

HC, DB. This is the problem. I am assuming, by your attendance at conferences that you are either very enthusiastic line pilots or training/senior pilots. However, even with your training roles, you are discussing different ways of carrying out a critical flight phase using an autopilot. This should not be a discussion point, it should be clear. There should be no 'choice' here, just the right way or the wrong way. Not only this, if it is an automatic system then it should be automatic. You should not have to 'help' an automatic system otherwise it is pointless automation.

The fact there is ambiguity about ways of handling a critical flight phase is shocking. From my own experience the ambiguity is widespread. Without wanting to sound melodramatic, this is a situation that needs to be resolved or it will lead to further loss of life.

Frankly, I think resilience or manual handling practice or whatever is diverting attention away from the fact that many new helicopters are rolling off the production line without adequate instructions or training packages. This leads to ambiguous and dangerous training. Instead of making the end user resilient shouldn't we be making the training and equipment user resilient?