PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "it always does that!"
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2014, 23:01
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AoA

These discussions are always good to have every now & then.
That's how we learn, form others misfortunes & in this case perhaps a lucky escape.
As we all know the stall is a result of AoA not so much airspeed although there is a relationship between the two. Lowering the nose is the only way out of a stall unless you have excess power to burn which is not the case in most airframes.
Typical of low powered machines such as the SE light A/C C210 inc any induced drag such as a high AoA will erode airspeed very quickly as there simply isn't enough fwd thrust to overcome the reducing or low airspeed.
I only have around a 1000 hrs on SE lighties (C210 inc) & always found that if the situation was marginal but still within book limits then a little thinking outside the square was the go.
Like others have said here have a decision speed or even a point along the rwy that you may be famil with that if a certain level of perf hasn't been reached then it was time to pull the pin & stop.Transport Cat machines have a decision speed (V1) but there's no reason why a light SE plane can't have a similar speed or position along the rwy.
If you are committed to go then leave the machine on the ground for as long as possible to build airspeed(even just off the ground but level flight) 'cause once airborne if too early building airspeed can be difficult to achieve if the AoA is held at a constant that sends off the stall warning.
Airmanship, knowing yr planes capabilities & doing some advanced research on A/C aerodynamics never goes astray from the C150 driver all the way up to the driver of an A380.
Those damned SE Cessna retractable set ups where weird, looked like broken chicken legs when being pulled up. The early C337 you never touched the gear 'till you where near in crz:-):-)
I recall getting my first jet endo (L35) after having only flown PA31's as my fastest plane was a huge eye opener & got stuck into the books about AoA, stalls & especially Mach Tuck, the latter very interesting although not quite relevant here

Stay safe out there guys & remember that ever basic saying..."if it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't"

Wmk2