PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155 incident, SNS, 6 Nov 2013
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2014, 16:42
Boudreaux Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Language strikes again! I fully agree with "not kicking George aside" and reverting to purely hands on flying. Quite the opposite. That being said, there might be some situations where that is the better method but it should be just one of the things in our Bag of Tricks and not the only one or the first one we grab.

I generally see the continuing pursuit of lofty descriptions of how Pilots function to sometimes cause far more problems than it solves as we find ourselves arguing about the labeling and ignoring the "problem" that prompted the discussion to begin with.

I see this "Resilience" thing as being yet another of those examples of not leaving well enough alone.

The discussions we have had about Training and other education about systems, procedures, standards, and methods to be far more beneficial than getting wrapped around axle over "Resilience" as a concept as the "new" cure.

I have watched folks do the immediate canceling of the autopilot in the Sim when the first Master Caution illuminates and the subsequent disasters that sometimes followed as a direct result. The Demo of watching the Autopilot cope with some failures and fly an absolutely beautiful coupled ILS Approach was lost on some as well.

The Sim is only representative and not a completely accurate duplicate of the actual aircraft in all cases but the Teaching Point was valid.

You and I agree far more than we disagree.