PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do the RAF still use QFE?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2014, 14:16
Boudreaux Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd find it difficult not to argue that having 0 on the alt when you are on the ground was a good thing - I'm not sure I'd be ardent about it, though.
The inconvenient truth in all this is that is not necessarily the case. (0 showing....)

As not all airfields are dead level flat and some can have marked differences in elevation then that "Zero Feet" indication might only be related to one very specific place on the Airfield (assuming no Altimeter Error).

Barometric Altimeter indications in reality are only "close guesses" as to where the aircraft is in relation to the ground.

Thus, when I hear the "0" number being thrown about I just have to wonder about the level of pedantry to which I am being confronted.

Just how accurate is that "0" indication in the best case.....or the worst case all things being considered in a rational reasonable way?

The FAA's advice re International Flying by US Pilots:

Altimetry

The U.S. and many other countries use inches of mercury to measure barometric pressure. Other countries use millibars (e.g., hectopascals or hPa). Some aircraft altimeters will display both; however, if only a single-display altimeter is available, it is necessary to have a conversion chart available.
The U.S. and other western countries use QNH altimeter procedures. Some countries (e.g., Russia) use QFE altimeter procedures. When operating under QFE altimetry, your altimeter will indicate zero when on a datum point somewhere on the airport surface, commonly a runway threshold. Complete understanding of the rules and procedures required to fly under QFE altimeter procedures is critical when operating in these countries. Some airports will supply QNH on request.
While the transition altitude/flight level in the U.S. is 18,000 feet (FL 180), it varies greatly elsewhere, and the flight levels may begin as low as 3,000 feet (FL 30). You may be assigned Flight Level six zero (FL 60), for example.
A few countries (e.g., China) use meters instead of feet. For altitude and speed, you will need conversion charts.