PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality of newbies
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2014, 09:03
Creepy Beard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am about 55 hours into an integrated CPL course at a non-'sausage factory' school. My instructor is a career instructor with 8,000 hours or so. He has the least experience of any of the crew there!

I chose this school after checking quite a few out because they are more than a little bit 'old school' in how they train their pilots - less about worrying how shiny and new the plane is, more about flying. No glass cockpits, no GPS, no 30 metre wide runway...no stupid student pilot uniforms required, check your attitude at the door.

Anyways, I would like to think that I am trying to be the opposite of the newbie you are describing OP. I am working my arse off in my (full-time) non-aviation job to pay for my training. I do study hard, I do ask questions, I read lots of magazines, articles, investigation reports, and so on. It is also worth noting that when I hopefully get a job in GA (I'm probably going to go bush) I will be taking a massive pay cut from what I do now; I'm not doing this for money or status, I'm doing it because I love flying.

So please, don't lump every newbie in the same boat! We aren't all poorly trained with bad attitudes and huge egos.