PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 13th Jul 2014, 08:21
grousehunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Betty,

A question for those in the know:

If the UK decide to purchase the P8 (and the rumour mill is in full force at the moment) then will that be a COTS buy, or will the MOD want it's own sensors on the platform? If it is a COTS purchase then how will the many sensors (thinking EW) be supported? Will this be UK personell placed into EWC in the US or would we be expected to set up our own EW support section in the UK (not a quick or simple suport section to set up)? To do so could be approx 5 years+ to be effective.

Along the same lines; I understand the mission system is similar to the MRA4 (at least the Boeing architecture) and therefore will require some sort of MSS. Will this be COTS or would the UK be expected to develop its own and integrate?

I understand the platform is excellent, and like all new aircraft will have it's teething problems, but I do feel that there is an assumtion that the jets can just be bought and flown "as is", but to do so requires a huge support organisation that I think has not even been considered. How many simulalators would be required? Would these have emulated mission systems, or simulated? Having seen the cluster that was the MRA4 rear crew simulator, I would hope some lessons had been identified there. (That is not a slur on those supporting that sim, but the decisions made on how to emulate the sensors).

The systems above are just a couple, and we have not even gone into acoustic support, an area where the RAF (standby RN) removed the capability to support with the retirement of the MR2.

Would you be able to add any info on how some of these areas would be managed?

Enjoy the US - when are you lot coming back anyway? If you are......