PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Sacking Tarmac Engineers
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2014, 21:31
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuff Stuff.

NN - [who] was Maintenance Mngr of US airline Southwest Airlines. He was the architect of them outsourcing their maintenance to low cost/no skill Central/South American countries where quality didn't exist but maint checks were "signed-off". After he left Southwest all their maintenance was brought back "in-house"
MS – "I just want to say that the way to beat those bastards is to report. Use your maintenance manual and report each and every tidbit that don't go according to it. Bureaucrats don't understand people, they can only understand papers. So give them papers. Reports. Lots of them. Is there a missing screw? File a report. Did you find a drop of jet-A on the floor after maintenance? File a dozen reports, at least one including hazmat.
Steve's post – 73 – (IMO) provides the very best start point for solution; but consider taking it to the next level. The FAA fined SWA; and they do not mess about. For FAA to go to their "Depcon 4" level there is a world of process, education and investigation done before the big guns roll out. The FAA have to get to "court" level of evidence before acting. How about a FAA style of audit, in support of the proper reporting process being done, internally by ALAEA – to produce the same level (type) of evidence that the FAA relied on. The other side of the dagger is that it may blow back – if someone has 'deliberately' broken SOP or the rules; but that is defendable, if it can be proved that the 'directive' came from a responsible manager. Ask for a written instruction or directive before breaching SOP – no memo – sorry, can't do that, it's against the rules – file a report – then do it the right way.

McHale – "Google is your friend. Do some homework, it's there for all to see!!!
I'm sure a connection with SWA engineering could be established and the trail which led to the eventual return to 'in house' maintenance could be mirrored in the QE argument. Steve knows you can't beat these buggers in the tea room and I'm almost certain the troops know that a 5/8 spanner will not shift a ½" nut. Need to use the right tool....I reckon Steve is on the right track, just needs to be Amped up a bit. Find a plan; or buy a St Jude medallion.

Just my two bob's worth, wish there was more I could do.......{Sad face smiley}.