PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 12th Jul 2014, 14:29
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bts 70. The Skydel drawings I saw went back to 1949. (Blackburn or Trianco??)The last surviving copy of the type record (all the stress calcs) was dated 1953 updated by Hawker Sydney some time in the 60s. I passed this to Boscombe Down for safe keeping when we moved out of Wyton. Not even sure if the DA had a copy so I sent them one too. (no storage space at Shabby Wood). It was at the time when it was identified we had a vertical CoG issue when loading all the side stores onto MSP rigs to get to the magical or mythical 18,000 lbs (8000 and some odd kgs) with or without the main parachutes for the forward load which were on the aft load. The dangers of those responsible not understanding basic mechanics of overturning moments. They bandied about 3g or 1.5g with such confidence that they knew what they were talking about. When we did the sums there was less than 0.5g on some of the piggy back rigs even without the side stores. In a nut shell, the Skydel beams would have failed had the brakes been applied too hard with an MSP or two finishing up in the cockpit. I think we were OK for ballast loads and the ammunition rig but all the others would have needed an OEC to be dropped. Perhaps your pins should have been Grade A parts and certainly not subjected to hitting with a 10K coupling.