PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2014, 10:05
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian W
I do not know if the ACARS logs have been made available. But the ARINC 620 datalink specification has a 'logon/logoff' protocol. If the ACARS 'failed' or had its CB pulled, then there would be no logoff protocol messages. If the ACARS was tidily switched off then it would have followed the log off protocol.

The early statements implied that it had logged off, meaning someone who knew how to find the ACARS menu had switched ACARS off.
Ian,

Are you certain there is actually a logoff ACARS message (as compared to 'logging off' in the airplane as a planned way of causing the system to stop sending messages). I can't find any indication that such a message type exists. Equally, I can't see a 'logon' ACARS message (as compared to the satcom logon). The closest message type to logon seems to be Link Test.

Also, the 1:07 message, based on the Inmarsat log, looks to be 'large' (30 signalling units). What appears to be the ACK is only three signalling units. I would expect a logoff message to be similar in size to the ACK. That coupled with the fact that no official documents has said 'the last ACARS message at 1:07 was a log off message' leads me to believe the early comments of ACARS being 'turned off' were imprecise comments that should technically have been 'ACARS stopped transmitting expected messages or responding to interrogations some time after the last routine message at 1:07'.

One can easily understand how a briefer in the heat of the moment would use version one vs version two.