PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 12th Jul 2014, 07:16
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
dragartist,
I have seen what I believe were (long time ago-no log book entry as a memory jogger) bar mines fitted in the a/c. They were inert but still rolled up to the a/c covered with tarpaulins. Someone must know ! Around that time lots of things were of necessity done without the 'correct' clearances or even accurate recording. Does anyone remember the 'snatch' done by the 'K' before the airfield was opened 'down south' ? If not I will describe when I return in a weeks time.
My tale of the sequel to 'Juggernaut'.
It occurred to someone further up the food chain that if the Juggernaut scenario happened for real and the villians were on the ship then we had no response. Thus the 'K' gunship project was born. You have probably heard how the USAF do it with a dedicated a/c with mucho firepower. We of course did it rather differently. The trial was conducted at Lyneham with airdrop instructors from the OCU. I was supposed to be on the trials but have never been into guns so another ALM instructor did them.
No expense was expended !
The set up was a GPMG mounted on a modified camera mount firing firing out of the port para door. Those who have stood there and gazed out from this opening will appreciate the very real likelehood of shooting off parts of the airframe. Stops were fitted which greatly restricted the field of fire.
I think a couple of sorties were flown and the trial written up.
The intention was that SF would do it on a currency basis but that all foundered on who would fund the extra flying hours and ammunition. So it was pigeonholed.
Many years later a 'new' role appreared in the Aircrew Manual, that of 'Fire Suppression'. Most assumed it was to do with firebombing. When I did the HEART job I spoke to the chap i/c the Herc publication(he also did the VC10)
and explained about the confusion. After tracking down the original report we agreed a better description was that of 'Suppressive Fire'.
I wonder if it has been carried over to the 'J' ?

From the 'how close would you like me file'. Airbridge tanking.