PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155 incident, SNS, 6 Nov 2013
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2014, 03:00
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeliComparator
P&A I think the term you are looking for, which was mentioned several times at the conference JimL mentioned, is "Resilience". ie crews need to have some depth of ability so that when things go pear shaped, they can fall back on their underlying knowledge and skill and judgment to recover the situation, rather than flailing around helplessly when "the tramlines" are departed from. It is a great and meritorious buzzword, although I am less certain how we train resilience into crews in the real world.
I agree whole heartedly with what you have written HC, and the buzzword is fine.

My contention is that we have to stop telling ourselves and each other that this is a training issue. I believe it is a personal responsibility issue.

Perhaps where the training staff can come into play is in giving joe/jill pilot the tools to self-assess. From there, it is up to the individual to want to improve. And frankly, if they don't want to, then I say send them packing.

I have a rant that is screaming to get out, but it will destroy any last vestige of anonymity I have on here, so not today. Suffice to say, I have tilted long and hard at this windmill and a dozen people nearly lost their lives to prove me right. Sad. Sadder still that so little changes.