PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON -3
Thread: MANSTON -3
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2014, 23:20
ANGRYBEARD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read many of the post consultation threads with 'interest', there seems to be the usual two camps, the 'nothings' or 'everythings'

So after several aborted posts, now I'll throw my hat in;

I used to work at Manston, a few years ago, during flybe times, having had a keen interest all my life, even doing work experience with the R.A.F. It was an amazing place, always so close to the promised land, a great bunch of people worked there, some I'm still pleased to call friends, and I'm gutted to of watched them lose there jobs.

Manston never was, or will be a Heathrow replacement, or the answer to the south east air travel question, or even a stop gap. What it could be, is a well run, reasonable profitable business, maybe some airlines, but mainly freight, training and overhaul.

The problem with Infratil was a complete lack of investment and no foresight. They bought the place for a quick profit before the market went into downturn and spent almost nothing other than covering losses. I remember plans to double cargo ramp capacity for minimal amounts rejected, with cargo aircraft having to wait on the taxiway whilst others were unloaded, to have two aircraft being seen to at once required all the equipment transferred right across the airfield to an apron not set up for the work. The equipment was knackered then, always breaking down, the amount of time a 747 was held up because the loader broke, old equipment caught fire whilst trying to impress possible customers, any stuff that HAD to be replaced was wrongly ordered and was out of action for months whilst airport staff tried to adapt it.

Nothing was permanent, even the terminal repaint was laughed at by the decorators as the paint work was the cheapest and barely fit for purpose. Any substantial new work was funded through other means, whether the wind farm, or insurance pay out's, etc.

Despite huge cost of management being brought from Prestwick, or the board flown from NZ, no decisions ever seemed to be made, and it always seemed to be a case or putting on this public image to try and get extra funding(9 million wanted for a new station only marginally quicker than from Ramsgate, well away from helping local business' profit) Infratil never intended to make it work and probably spent more in covering losses than what basic investment would have cost waiting for a sale.

From what I have heard, the present owner had no intention of making it work either, this is all word of mouth, but I've heard of golden handshakes arranged months in advance of consultation, a lack of desire to even paper over the cracks, stats showing profitability in cargo ignored, even facilities staff being rebuked for using long life lightbulbs. I must admit though, as soon as it was bought I saw asset stripping all over it.

Riveroak didn't look any different in my book, but seem to have some experience and plans, I've been told they have agreed all equipment needs replacing anyway, so auction not an issue, maybe they'll actually invest a little, with fit for purpose buildings built for new business' to base themselves in, an actual strategy and maybe that much needed ramp space.

Basically Manston needs a plan, stop trying to get the locals on side by talk of airlines, downplaying cargo for positivity points, if the council are going to go through the process of cpo, then they need a real plan in place and money to back it guaranteed.

I would prefer it all left alone, than years of uncertainty and another false dawn bringing it down, in the mean time i wish Avman, TG, polar and other firms based at the airport the best of luck and fingers crossed for their future.