PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2014, 17:15
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with crewmeal, long haul developments at BHX at the moment are all just airy fairy if's and maybe's. Apart from a 'blink and you miss them' series of flights to Beijing in a couple of weeks, there is nothing at present in terms of long haul airlines and destinations to show for the massive capital investment in the runway extension either this summer or next. There may be more China flights next summer but as LAX_LHR says there is nothing concrete in new long haul in sight.

Yes, getonittt, agreed, EDI is a different airport to BHX and what happens there has little bearing on BHX. But fact is EDI have secured QR, the AUH airline, AC Rouge, US Airways and an expanded schedule from UA in less than 12 months and now overshadows the long haul network at BHX. I should imagine EDI management are very hungry for a China route and I wouldn't be surprised if they get it. However apart from that and the return of DL, I can't see much further viable long haul opportunities from EDI right now.

I'm not saying that BHX should have all these new airlines and routes as at EDI but that is significant and very healthy long haul growth which right now is not happening at BHX. I think that BHX for too long has focused on being an overspill airport for LHR, instead it should have been marketing itself as a stand alone facility with its own many airport, locational and regional market strengths

Ending on a positive note though, BHX pax figures are going up, new routes by BE seem to be doing well, Icelandair are coming next year and it's still a great airport to fly to/from!