PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tips for a new instructor
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2014, 10:12
TSIO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra qualifications help.. I went and became a JP Qual. Learn book keeping, IT networking, and Poweloint (or similar) if you can.

Once you get a job, even if others slack off, don't do it yourself until you've done at least a year and know the boss well. That being said, don't be a brown nose or you'll piss off the other guys/gals.

With a student.. If you are talking you should be flying (they will be too stressed to fly and listen simultaneously).

Don't debrief everything you see fault with.. They'll be overloaded. Pick your top three items each session.

Tell them what you expect each step of the way before you fly.

If they get a vice grip on the controls, show them how to fly a circuit with power, trim and rudder only. Power for pitch and trim for speed.

For crosswind landings, get them to side-slip from 500 all the way, then 400, then 300 etc til they can transition in the flare. Practice low approaches where they hold the side slip condition in ground effect with power on and move 3m left, hold, 3m right, hold then go around. MONITOR PERFORMANCE AND ALLOW DISTANCE FOR AN ENGINE FAILURE!

Teach them HOW to measure! For distance, use two visible features, measure the map distance between and then use multiples/ratios of that distance to judge proximity to other features (PM me if unsure). Teach them how to judge circuit spacing, traffic spacing..

Be well presented yourself too..

Good luck, meet as many people as you can.

I did it 10 years ago and loved it!

TSIO.