PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How is the RAA (Regional Airline Association) dealing with the pilot shortage in US?
Old 11th Jul 2014, 05:36
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's interesting how many newish pilots ie CPL not ATP, at one of the companies for whom I work here in the USA, have expressed the opinion - or hope - that the new FAA ATP rules will cause airlines to include the required training as part of their basic indoc training. That is, the airline will wear the cost of the new ATP training requirements, and not themselves.

My experience in Oz & UK for *any* regulatory or market increase in minimum required qualifications is exactly the opposite! New, more difficult or more complicated (read 'more expensive') requirements become just another 'tick in the box' prerequisite to obtain *at one's own expense* prior to applying for jobs at that level. I foresee the same happening in the US.

Who's going to lead the lemming-like rush to pay & pay & pay just to get a job paying starvation wages? Hopefully no one. But, unfortunately, the US job market is filled with those who will pay - thereby support - the forthcoming prequisites, current poor pay, domicile hopping as bases open & close, commute to a crashpad (possibly even a worse choice for lifestyle), hiring booms & furloughs etc - just to get a quick job on a jet or TP at a regional to expedite their next career step their 'permanentl' job at a major.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 13th Jul 2014 at 04:11.