PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tips for a new instructor
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2014, 00:33
drpixie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Absolutely agree with Centaurus.

When I started my instructor rating, with a traditional old-school instructor, he very quickly noted my crosswinds and asked if I was happy with them. The honest answer was that I'd never been really comfortable. "We'll fix that" ... and for the entire rating, all circuits and landing were on the crosswind runway. When conditions got quite silly, he'd still say "let's have a go". By the end of the rating, I was perfectly happy in severe, gusty quartering winds - and I've tried to keep that current.

There are really two parts to an instructor rating.

First, learn to teach. Some experience in teaching is very helpful here (it really helps if you've taught something/anything before). Learn to anticipate what the student knows and doesn't know. Learn to recognize common errors, assumptions and lack-of-knowledge. Learn to demonstrate and talk at the same time (patter), Learn that the student is REALLY busy, so keep your talking to "bullet points" and even then only the most important bits. And, most important, learn to let the student make mistakes - if they don't break anything, they are learning fastest.

Second, improve your standards. You should be able to demonstrate everything on the syllabus confidently, first time. This is the hardest bit to keep current. Don't be happy with "acceptable" - you should be aiming for perfect all the time. Always good crosswind technique; precise speed control; accurate attitude; perfect circuit shape; nose-wheel on the centre-line; correct radio calls ... and so on.

Many instructor ratings seem to focus on part 1, but part 2 is very important. It will be up to you to be good, and to remain good.