PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2014, 19:22
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
SD (great spot on the planet eh - spent a few weeks there early 1973 - just like our Oz east coast) from my reading and the Rusnok quote above "pilot can intervene". However especially in STOVL Mode the computer does limit pilot input in case too much is asked. Anyhoo 'Engines' mentioned earlier that the roll posts were shut off for STO. The Americans have not mentioned this to my limited knowledge so far for their Flat Deck STO testing. I'm still mystified by throttle settings - meanwhile here is another quote:

CVF ski-jump ramp profile optimisation for F-35B A. Fry, R. Cook and N. Revill, FEBRUARY 2009 VOLUME 113 NO 1140
"...1.4 F-35B STOVL lift and propulsion system
The F-35B has a number of unique elements that facilitate its STOVL capability, and these are critical in the optimisation of a ski jump ramp profile for the aircraft. A basic description of the layout and function of the lift and propulsion system is shown in Fig. 2 and described below:

● a Lift Fan driven by a shaft from the main engine which provides vertical lift through a variable area vane box nozzle using louvered vanes to vector thrust between vertically downwards and partially aft.

● a three-bearing swivel module (3BSM), which vectors the main engine exhaust thrust from the core engine through vertically downwards to fully aft – the latter being the default for conventional mode flying.

● roll nozzles, ducted from the engine and exiting in each wing providing roll control and vertical lift. These are closed off during the initial portion of the short take-off (STO) in order to maximise forward thrust from the main engine, opening towards the end of the ramp in order to provide control and lift during the fly out...."
RAeS