PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Waddington show - what happens now?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2014, 10:26
WH904

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Content way richer? An F-35 and a Su-22? Hardly a match for a Vulcan, Canberra, three Hunters, three Gnats, a Viggen and a Draken (and all flying, not just sat in a car park)! People who live fairly near to Fairford still think its great but these days its a pale imitation of the days of Greenham Common, etc. I don't know anyone in my profession who even bothers going to the show any more, which says a lot. But it is what it is and its a popular event.

But Fairford is hideously expensive and it's at a venue that most people (apart from the organisers) hate. It's way too far for anyone beyond the midlands and it's a nightmare to get in and out of. It would be pretty disturbing if the RAF threw all its support to a show at Fairford. Once again, it would be encouraging the notion that Britain ends just north of Watford.

Waddington was (is) in a central location, not too far from good road connections, and blessed with plenty of space. Not many other places that tick all the boxes. Cosford's hardly an "RAF showcase" - they haven't got an adequate runway and no parking space.

Cottesmore is easily the most suitable show venue. Okay, it's under Army control but so what? One would hope that we're beyond the days of inter-service rivalry, so one MoD establishment is just as valid as any other.

But one suspects that all of this matters not one jot if the RAF are preparing us to stage a neat abandonment of all shows - which is what I expect. It's a very sad business if we've reached a stage where the RAF can't even manage to stage one decent public event. The folks at Yeovilton and Culdrose must be chuckling