PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Fuhrer is incandecent about Waddo Aisrhow!
Old 10th Jul 2014, 10:24
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wensley,

No, I didn't mean to suggest it was an empty excuse. - I have no doubt the demand on time off is insane, I spoke with a girl in the Waddo mess last week (I left my wallet there) and she was clearly rushed off her feet but was politeness and professionalism personified.

I just don't think that chopping it all is a good idea, that's all. Rather than going for a black/white, on/off solution, there needs to be some better, more creative thinking. The truth is, the help and support of the RAF has probably always been taken for granted - maybe the subjects of the appreciation shouldn't have always been expected to provide the means for the public to express that appreciation.

The nation deserves and should be able to see where its money goes and the service needs and (rightfully) expects the nation to appreciate and show its gratitude - that's as much a part of the Mil Cov as any hollow legislator soundbite. Maybe, 50 years ago the opportunity, capability and intent were there, but we have slowly evolved and diluted a principle to the point someone has to draw a line under things and start again, and stop referencing a now flawed concept based on what was once a viable principle.

I don't think it should be the role of the RAF automatically, to determine, fund, and execute the arrangement. But there should still be such an arrangement. Chopping it is the worse thing of all to do - dilution through myopic apathy. I feel sorry for those who have to make these decisions because they shouldn't be expected to have the only dog in this fight.