PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Training for strong crosswind landings
Old 10th Jul 2014, 08:22
Jwscud

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Airrabbit, I understand your points completely.

However, as a bloke of limited experience who has only sat in the right seat for a shortish period of time and only have two type ratings, in some respects I am more the target demographic for Level D sims than yourself. A simulator that is slightly unrealistic and over-sensitive to the point of being able to induce PIO in a pilot without the benefit of your experience, or on a new size or type of aircraft is manifestly not doing its job properly.

One is able to achieve a Type rating solely through training in the sim, then 45 minutes flying the aircraft to do the required circuits. Therefore the significance of any handling defects is amplified. Obviously in this case it makes life easier as the sim is hard to handle but the aircraft significantly easier. It was however a source of unneeded frustration and distraction on the type rating. It also wastes time on Line Training, as with no experience on type, one is not well positioned to differentiate between solely sim flying techniques and how to actually fly the aircraft as you have advocated previously.

Call me a cynic, but it is also not in the interest of sim manufacturers to document flaws in approved sims in a way that might require investment of large quantities of cash to fix their flight models slightly. Equally, minor issues (I agree that these don't particularly affect the sim overall) may indeed be masked by the skill of the pilots testing the simulators.