PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOI into the 2012 Tornado Collision over the Moray Firth
Old 10th Jul 2014, 03:48
Easy Street

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts
Chug, I'm not arguing against installation of CWS in Tornado. I have been attempting to demonstrate why the risk is still considered tolerable and ALARP while the kit is under development, in response to DV's suggestions that it was not. I'm glad that CWS is being fitted and yes, there was a relatively easy (if sub-optimal) solution. If it's considered 'ingenious' to point out flaws of substance in DV's allegations of intolerability and non-ALARPness, would you instead prefer that we take decisions based purely on unsubstantiated statements of a somewhat headline-grabbing nature?

The point about F35 and Typhoon is that they operate in vastly different environments to Tornado. Not only that, they have better cockpit visibility and are both equipped with air-air radars and passive detection systems. They also fly proportionally fewer hours per crew due to advances in synthetic training (substantially so for F35). Now that doesn't mean that they shouldn't have CWS, but it does change the cost-benefit balance compared to the Tornado case. As for societal risk, how would MOD's reputation suffer if it became known that we, alone among F35 partner nations, had compromised the stealth characteristics of the aircraft by cutting holes for after-market TCAS? Besides, would that not make the aircraft unfit for its operational purpose, much like an ESF-less C130?

Last edited by Easy Street; 10th Jul 2014 at 04:17.