PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do the RAF still use QFE?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2014, 21:06
Bob Viking

Received 565 Likes on 158 Posts
Two points...

1. Shotone. QFE is no better or worse than QNH at giving you your height above terrain. One tells you your height above sea level the other above runway threshold. If I have Valley QFE set (for example) it is not going to stop me flying into Snowdon any more than the Holyhead QNH if I am stupid enough to be tooling around at low level with low SA. Since there are no airfields in the UK below sea level the worst that could happen, if I accidentally left QFE set, is that I would be higher than I think I am whilst blundering around in Snowdonia.

2. Boudreaux Bob. I hear your argument but let's use the example of a display pilot flying an aerobatic routine over an airfield. Would you rather know your height above sea level or your height above the runway? Clearly my thoughts are influenced by a well known example at Mountain Home (where QFE would not have been practical) but in the UK it would work very nicely. Landing in poor weather has similar connotations and I like knowing my height above the runway whilst having SA on surrounding terrain.

For the record I currently fly in Canada where QFE is not utilised or practical (the highest airfield I have been to recently was Rocky Mountain Municipal in Boulder and QFE sure as hell wouldn't work there) but I have flown a lot in the UK. I can cope fine with either system and I really don't care one way or another but I really can't work out why some people think QFE is unsafe.

I guess it depends what you've grown up with. Everyone in this country drives on the wrong side of the road but I've managed to adapt. Mostly.
BV