PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Sacking Tarmac Engineers
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2014, 21:02
DirectAnywhere

Received 164 Likes on 36 Posts
JETTRONIC,

The gun is now pointing at me and the gun is cocked and loaded.....what do you do. Never been in this situation any advise is appreciated.
I've got no advice on finding a job or anything like that. What I can say is make sure you communicate openly with your wife/partner. They thrive on this sort of stuff and, if you've got a good one, are worth their weight in gold.

Secondly, try and find something that allows you to engage with your community. Volunteer work in some way, shape or form won't pay the bills but it will massively increase your own sense of self-worth and wellbeing at a time those two things are sure to take a beating. Find something to make you feel good about yourself because the company doesn't give a rat's how you feel.

Get angry but don't let it dominate your life. Try and emotionally disconnect from the company as quickly as possible. It's not worth sinking any more energy in to than is the minimum required. Don't engage with the petty day-to-day BS. Do the job (for as long as you have one), go home.

Hard physical exercise is better than a beer for your state of mind.

Find time and space for yourself when you need it but make sure you tell people why you need it. At the same time, don't neglect your relationships in all of this as they will be the things left standing at the end of it all.

Best of luck. I haven't been made redundant before but have spent several years watching my dream career slide down the toilet and those are the things that have helped me during the stressful periods. The job doesn't define who you are. For some at QF it does but most of those blokes are dicks. Don't be one of those blokes.

All the very best. Chin up tiger.