PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Pilot thinking of IMC
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2014, 12:57
enq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One top tip I can give is using MS flight sim X or similar to practice the procedural approach stuff - it's not, as anyone who's used it is aware I'm sure, terribly realistic in terms of physical flight characteristics, visual scenery etc but it is extremely useful for nailing down the numbers, headings & behaviour of the instruments (particularly the various adf techniques that personally I always find less than intuitive).

I found that having increased familiarity with the procedures & cockpit environment left me slightly better placed to concentrate on the myriad of other skills required & the increased standards of accuracy that I'd managed to erode during hours of happy vfr bimbling.

I also recommend using a large sheet of A3 across the top half of the screen so you can simulate that marvelous screens down moment on finals.

Actually, having used foggles & screens, I also recommend going for a training aircraft fitted for screens - it seems more civilised, less claustrophobic & a truer representation of flight in IMC.

I definitely endorse the safety & flight skill development aspect of the rating but won't comment on the future & seemingly fluid regulatory status of the various instrument flight rating options except to say that whatever else happens you don't lose the basic appreciation of flight in IMC you gain through the training (which, of course, is completely different from practicing the skills sufficiently to stay safe & competent in real IMC).