PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Training for strong crosswind landings
Old 9th Jul 2014, 08:24
rudderrudderrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi AirRabbit,

However, I can say that I don’t believe I’ve encountered the kinds of PIO you describe (i.e., during Take Off or Rejected Take Off) in any simulator.
I have quickly scanned this page and the first two pages of this thread and found these comments:

Jwscud #104
"The ground handling was very over-sensitive, with PIO being very easy to induce on the takeoff or landing rolls."

FlightGlobal "Lm2 is a patented software solution that modifies the conventional lateral accelerations applied by six-axis motion systems in full flight simulators – which frequently cause trainees to overreact, resulting in pilot-induced oscillations."

safetypee #12
"In addition to the many weaknesses in simulating crosswinds as above, the majority of systems are unable to simulate true lateral acceleration, at least for a significant period covering de-crabbing and during roll out. ... because there is no sideways ‘seat of the pants’ feeling for feedback."

wangus #22
"I completed my first TR in Jan / Feb (A320) and found the Level D sim impossible to land well, in all scenarios.... Sim killed my confidence, the real thing restored it"

Many experienced pilots (I would say over 50%) find the ground handling of the sim during take off & landing far more difficult than real life. It sounds like you require the regulatory authority to mandate that such improvements be made before it will happen.

I think we need more competition between the sim manufacturers - like there is between the airlines.